Saturday 29 August 2015

Importance of Software Products Interoperability or Compatibility Matrix

Recently I migrated from old to new laptop, which is in majority cases laborious job. After few weeks, I realized I missed to install VMWare vSphere Client software to access ESXi server.

Somehow I could find that I had vSphere client version 5.5 in my previous laptop, and I just installed latest "vSphere client version 5.5 U3". Then when I tried to login, it stuck on "Updating" popup screen which finally failed to do any progress with multiple tries. Well, I could not understand what it tries to do --- The required client support files need to be retrieved from the server "vsphereclient.vmware.com" and installed. Click Run the installer or Save the installer???


I tried to google solution, but could not find anything useful. I tried uninstall and install latest version 6.0, but could not solve it. This way, I wasted my almost 5 hours. Suddenly I realized, I should check version compatibility between ESXi server and vSphere client. So I searched and found this url - http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/sim/interop_matrix.php. Wow, finally I could fix this problem in just few minutes by installing VMWare vSphere client version compatible to ESXi server 5.0 version.


Lesson Learned:

While installing any software products, if we see installation problems or it reacts weirdly, then we should not forget to refer its version compatibility matrix... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment